Hello Xiaomi Users, Today in this post you will learn How to root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, Unlock Bootloader & Install TWRP Recovery on the device.
Redmi Note 4 is the another device from Xiaomi Popular Redmi Note series. It launched in August 2016, Which comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon 625. This phone comes in three variants depends on the RAM & Internal Storage which are 3GB\32GB, 4GB\64GB version.
Also, It comes with massive 4100 mAH battery life, 13MP Primary Camera & 5MP Front camera. It has 2.5D Curve glass, 5.5″ Full HD Display.
This phone runs on MIUI 8 which is based on Android Marshmallow having tons of features like Dual Apps, Second Space, Lots of customization and more.
But still, if you are not happy with them or wanted to make some customization like installing custom Roms, Overclocking or to experience CyanogenMod you will need to install Custom Recovery.
We can not directly root Redmi Note 4 for this we need to unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 4 first then we need to install TWRP recovery on Redmi Note 4. And then we can root your device.
So for this refer our full step by step guide below.
Table of Contents
How To Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 & Unlock Bootloader to Install TWRP Recovery
- Make Sure that Android USB Debugging is enabled on your device.
If not then Go to Setting > About Phone Tap on MIUI Version 7-8 Times. Again go to Setting > Additional Settings > Developer Option and Enable USB Debbunging.
- Download Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 USB Driver & Install them properly.
- Backup your device to avoid data loss.
- Download TWRP Recovery for Redmi Note 4.
- SuperSU.zip – Place this file in your internal storage of the device.
Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
Unlock your Redmi Note 4 bootloader first. Without this rooting Redmi Note 4 is impossible. Please refer below guide to unlock the bootloader of the device.
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
After unlocking your bootloader the next step is flashing TWRP recovery on your device. By flashing TWRP recovery we will be able to flash any installable zip files like SuperSU.zip, Custom ROMs or any tweaks like Custom Kernels.
1. Make sure that you have installed proper USB driver on your computer.
Now, Download TWRP Recovery for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 & place this recovery in your computer or in ADB Folder. Also, Rename this recovery file to twrp.img otherwise you need to write the current name in recovery.
2. Go to Recovery folder and Right click the folder. Open Command Window by Pressing Right click and Shift Key. From options select “Open Command Window” here.
3. Connect your device to the computer USB. You will see command prompt on your windows screen. Type following code to check if the device is connected or not.
Next step is reboot your device to fastboot mode by following command. Or you can boot to fastboot mode, Switch off your phone press Power On button + Volume Downl button.
adb reboot bootloader
Your device is booted into Type following code to flash twrp recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 & hit the enter button.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Or If you want to flash twrp recovery for tempory then you can use the following code.
fastboot boot twrp.img
4. You will see that twrp recovery is installed successfully. To boot into recovery mode you can use following code or Power off your phone and Press Power on button + Volume Up button to boot into recovery mode.
Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 & Install SuperSU
After successfully Unlocking Bootloader & Installing TWRP Recovery on the device the next step is to root your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4.
1. Switch off your phone & Reboot to recovery by pressing Power On + Volume Up button.
2. You will see twrp recovery on your device screen. In TWRP Recovery select Install Zip. Select your SuperSU.Zip file from the internal storage.
9. Confirm Flash! You will see a success message. Now Clear Cache & Dalvik Cache.After installation Reboot your device from the menu.
After installation Reboot your device from the menu.
That’s It! You have successfully rooted your Xiaomi Redmi note 4 with this method. First boot will take some time to boot up.
You can use Root Checker application to check your root status. Enjoy!
F.A.Q About Rooting Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
- Showing “Waiting for device” error while flashing twrp recovery on redmi note 4?
It means there are no proper USB Drivers are installed on your computer. Download Xiaomi USB Driver or Mi PC Suite to install proper USB Drivers on the computer.
- Is CWM Recovery available for Redmi Note 4?
Currently, CWM Recovery is not available for Redmi Note 4. This is sad news for CWM Recovery lovers. My suggestion is to use TWRP Recovery. Because it has more features than CWM.
If you encounter any error then do not forget to comment below.