Guide to Root Redmi Note 4: Hey everyone here is the detailed guide to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 4, Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 4 & grant root access Xiaomi Redmi Note 4.
Xiaomi has launched a lot of Budget Phones with great features. The Popularity of Xiaomi Redmi series is tremendous now. Redmi Note 3, Redmi Note 4, Redmi 4, Redmi 4A, Redmi 4X this are the some most selling and Popular devices from Xiaomi. The Best part about Xiaomi devices is they make value for money products. In Diwali Sale on Flipkart & Amazon Xiaomi has sold 1 Million devices in just 2 days.
The Redmi Note 4 is from the most selling phones made by Xiaomi. The Phone has been launch in August 2016 & still selling well. It has built on Full metal body design & its running on Snapdragon 625 2GHz octa-core Processor. The phone is coming with 2 Variant which is one with 3GB Ram & 32GB of storage & another variant with 4GB Ram & 64GB Storage options. Remaining Specs are it has 13MP Rear & 5MP Front camera & it has 4100mAh battery. Also, It has 5.5″ HD Display with 2.5D Glass on it. The device is known by its code name “Nickel“.
The Phone is coming with MIUI 8 & already MIUI 9 is released for Redmi note 4 which you can install easily with OTA update or use Recovery/Fastboot Method. If you want to make development on your phone or if you like to play with some extraordinary features which you can only bring by Rooting or Installing Custom recovery then you are the right place.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Root Redmi Note 4 | Install TWRP Recovery
Why Should You Root Redmi Note 4?
That’s the interesting question! If you are an Android geek and want some change from the regular UI of Xiaomi’s MIUI then installing Custom ROMs is your first choice. The custom recovery allows you to flash the Custom ROMs of your choice on your device. Let’s check out why you should we Root Redmi note 4.
- Install Custom Recovery
- Install Custom ROMs
- Remove Bloatware (Unwanted System Applications)
- Changing Fonts on MIUI 8/9
- & tons of various development check out the benefits of rooting android Phone.
How to Root Redmi Note 4 | Install TWRP Recovery
As you decided to root Xiaomi Redmi note 4. Let’s move further ahead. As you know the Xiaomi phones are coming with the Locked Bootloader. Hence, We need unlock bootloader & then we can install twrp recovery where we can flash SuperSU.zip file to grant root access.
Step 1 – Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 4
This is the first step in the rooting process and without unlocking bootloader, we can not flash twrp recovery & we need twrp recovery for Flashing SuperSU file. It is the time-consuming process in the overall rooting process due to waiting for unlocking approval from Xiaomi.
Follow the Steps given below to unlock the bootloader.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
1. Go to Mi Unlock page, Sign with your Mi Account & Request for unlocking with proper reason.
You can read an in-depth guide to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Note 4 here.
2. You will receive the Text message from Xiaomi as you get approval for unlocking bootloader.
3. Make sure that you have logged in with same Mi Account on your Redmi note 4.
4. Download 15 Second ADB Driver & Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC.
5. Now, Download Mi Unlock Tool & extract it on your computer. Now, Launch “MiFlashUnlock.exe” application.
6. After opening an application, On the first page, you need to log in with your Mi Account. Make sure that you have logged with the Mi Account that you have used to unlocking permissions.
7. The application will check either you have permissions for unlocking or not. You will see the device is not connected on Screen.
Now, Switch of your Redmi Note 4 in fastboot mode. To do this, Power off your phone, Press Power on + Volume down button simultaneously. You will be in fastboot mode, Connect your Android phone to the computer using USB Cable.
8. Finally, Press “Unlock” button to unlock the bootloader.
9. Unlocking process will take about 5 Minutes to complete. Once the process completes you can choose “Reboot Phone” option to boot normally on your Redmi note 4.
That’s it! You have successfully Unlock Bootloader of Redmi note 4 using Mi Unlock Tool. Now, You can move to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 4.
Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 4
Now, We will install twrp recovery on your smartphone. By using this custom recovery we can flash SuperSU file. Also, you can flash Custom ROM of your choice using this recovery. There are tons of development is available for this Phone.
- TWRP Recovery For Redmi Note 4
- ADB & Fastboot Driver
- Minimal ADB & Fastboot Driver
- SuperSU Zip
- Magisk Root Zip
- Lazyflasher File to prevent boot loop.
1. Make sure that you have installed ADB & Fastboot driver as mentioned above in bootloader unlocking process.
2. Download TWRP Recovery & Place it on your computer. All the required files for installation of twrp is given above.
3.Now, Enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlock on your Smartphone.
4. Place your downloaded recovery on your computer. Go to the folder where you have placed the downloaded recovery.
5. Open Command window thereby Pressing both Right Click button of your mouse with the Shift key. From the options choose, “Open Command Window here”.
6. Connect Redmi note 4 to the computer using USB Cable.
7. In Command Window, enter the following code to check device is connected or not.
8. Type this & press enter to boot it into Fastboot mode. You can manually boot into fastboot mode using Power on + Volume down.
adb reboot bootloader
9. Now, the final step is to flash twrp recovery through fastboot mode.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
The flashing process will complete in next few seconds. You have successfully Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi note 4.
Let’s move ahead and Root Redmi note 4 using twrp.
Install SuperSU or Magisk to Grant root access on Mi Redmi Note 4
After successfully Unlocking Bootloader & Installing TWRP Recovery on the device the next step is to root your Xiaomi Redmi Note 4.
- Place the downloaded SuperSU Zip file or Magisk file in the internal storage of the phone.
2. Switch off your phone & Reboot to recovery by pressing Power On + Volume Up button.
3. You will see twrp recovery on your device screen. In TWRP Recovery select Install Zip. Select your “SuperSU.Zip” file from the internal storage.
If you want to install Magisk root then you can select Magisk root instead of SuperSU. As both of them do the same work but magisk has some extra & useful features compare to SuperSU.
4. Confirm Flash! You will see a success message. Now Clear Cache & Dalvik Cache.After installation Reboot your device from the menu.
Afer flashing SuperSU. Don’t reboot your phone else your device will be stuck at Mi Logo(Boot loop).
5. Again Go Back to the main Screen, Choose to Install and Select “lazyflasher-no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip” & Install it. Now, Swipe to confirm flash.
The flashing process will take few seconds. Wait until the process completes.
6. After installation, you can Choose “Reboot” option.
That’s It! You have successfully rooted your Xiaomi Redmi note 4 with this method. First boot will take some time to boot up.
You can use Root Checker application to check your root status. Enjoy!
Video Tutorial to Root Redmi Note 4:
F.A.Q About Rooting Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
- How to check root status of my device?
You can check root status by downloading root checker application. Below is the direct download link of application.
- Showing “Waiting for device” error while flashing twrp recovery?
It means there are no proper USB Drivers are installed on your computer. Download Xiaomi USB Driver or Mi PC Suite to install proper USB Drivers on the computer.
- Is any way available to Root Xiaomi Redmi note 4 without PC?
No. There is no possible way to do this but still, you can try to root using kingroot. It works sometimes but there is no guarantee that it will work for sure.
- Is CWM Recovery available for Redmi Note 4?
Currently, CWM Recovery is not available for Redmi Note 4. I know this is bad news for CWM Recovery lovers. My suggestion is to use TWRP Recovery because it has more features than CWM.
So, Guys, this was the ultimate guide to Root Redmi note 4, Install TWRP Recovery & Install SuperSU on it. Now, you can do some awesome stuff with your Android smartphone in your way.
If you encounter any error then do not forget to comment below. Don’t forget to share this on Facebook, Google Plus & Twitter!