Do you want to grant root access on your smartphone? Here is the step by step guide to Root Redmi 5 where you will find a guide to Unlock bootloader, Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 5 & Flash Magisk Root or SuperSU to enable root access on this device.
Let’s talk about some specifications of this device. The Phone has powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 Processor. It has 5.7″ Display with 18:9 Ration based screen. The Phone has the 3300mAh battery life. And has the 2GB/3GB RAM & 16GB/32GB Storage options. Talking about the camera it has 13 Megapixel Rear shooter & 5 Megapixel front camera. Also, It comes with Android 7.1.2 running MIUI 9 OS.
The rooting allows you to make any changes you want in the system or if you have installed the TWRP Recovery then the user is able to flash any custom ROMs, Kernels & any other Mods or Zip files. The customization of android OS becomes much easier when you have rooted devices.
Table of Contents
Steps to Root Redmi 5 & Install TWRP Recovery
- Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 5 Without unlocking the bootloader you can proceed ahead.
- Download Redmi 5 USB Driver & Install them on your Windows PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone.
- Backup your important files in case if anything goes wrong you can recover them.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 5?
Unlocking bootloader is essential for installing TWRP Recovery & rooting process. Do check out the below article to Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 5.
Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5
This are the steps to install TWRP Recovery on this device. After installing TWRP Recovery, You can flash Magisk to grant root access.
01. Install both Xiaomi USB Driver & ADB Fastboot Drivers correctly. After installing place the downloaded recovery on your computer or you can copy the file to C:\adb.
02. Go to the Recovery folder, Press right click of your mouse while holding the Shift button on the Keyboard. From the options, Select “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open Command Window here”.
03. Turn off your device & boot it into Fastboot mode. Press & hold Power On button + Volume Down button to boot into fastboot mode.
04. Now, Connect the Phone to Computer using USB Cable.
05. On the Opened Command Window, Enter the following command first to check the device is connected to computer or not.
06. You will find the device connected to the computer. Now, Enter the following command to flash TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-rosy.img
07. After flashing the recovery you can Reboot your device by using the command given below.
We have successfully installed twrp recovery on this device. Go ahead to install Magisk or SuperSU to grant root access.
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi 5?
You can now root this device by flashing Magisk or SuperSU Root. My Suggestion will be to use Magisk as it provides some excellent features.
Root Using Magisk or SuperSU
Please make sure that you have downloaded only one zip file Magisk or SuperSU. Don’t download & flash both files which may cause many issues.
02. Next step is to boot into TWRP Recovery,
- Switch off your phone completely.
- Press & Hold Power On button with Volume Up button for few seconds.
- As soon as the TWRP Logo appears leave them.
- You will be in the TWRP Recovery interface.
03. In the TWRP Recovery, On the first boot, it will ask for Modification. Swipe to allow modification only if you are going to Flash Magisk, SuperSU or Lazyflasher file else Keep System Read Only.
04. Now, Select “Install” from the menu.
05. Locate the downloaded Magisk Zip or SuperSU Zip file from the internal storage where you have placed it.
06. Choose “Swipe to Confirm Flash“. This will install the selected file.
You have rooted successfully. This will install Root binaries along with their Root management app. You can select the Reboot option to Reboot your device normally.
So, This is how we have rooted Redmi 5 phone. If you have any issues, doubts related this do use our comment section!