The step by step guide to install TWRP recovery & Root Xiaomi Mi Max is here. Now, we have written a guide to grant root access on your device running MIUI 8! Do check out this.
Xiaomi Mi Max is not just a phone it is a 6.44″ Big phablet with 1080×1920 Pixel display. The device is available in the two variants.
Coming to other specifications of the phone, It has 16 MP Rear Camera & 5 MP Front Camera & has 4850mAh / 4760mAh battery capacity. Apart from this device has a Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Screen Protection & Fingerprint support as well.
Coming to Rooting Xiaomi Mi Max? It is a big phablet device. We root our device to various purposes. It allows users to make any type of customization in our Android System. Also, we can add some excellent features on our phone or can install TWRP Recovery to install Custom ROMs from other developers. That means you can experience the latest version of Android on your device before it becomes available officially.
So Let’s go further in Rooting Process?
- Rooting will void Xiaomi Mi Max Warranty.
- Do steps correctly, or your device can brick during this process.
- Charge your device well enough.
Table of Contents
How To Root Xiaomi Max Running MIUI 8
We can grant access on Mi Max by Installing/Flashing SuperSU & We can not directly flash this SuperSU Flashable Zip file through Stock Recovery(Mi Recovery). For this, we need to install any Custom Recovery like TWRP or CWM Recovery. For this, we will unlock Mi Max for flashing.
Thanks to TWRP(Team Win Recovery Project) for developing recovery for this device. Now, We will unlock the bootloader first then we will look forward about how to install TWRP recovery on Mi Max.
Step 1 – Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi Max
This step must be done without unlocking the device you can not proceed further more. Xiaomi is locking the bootloaders of their device due to some security reasons. The locked bootloader are useful to users also because if sometimes your device may get stolen or dropped anywhere then they can not easily wipe the data of your device.
Below is the Simple Guide to Unlock Mi Max Bootloader with Mi FlasUnlock Tool.
Step 2 – Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Max
Unlock Mi Max? The remaining task is very easy. Just downloaded the TWRP recovery & flash this through Fastboot Mode of the phone through Command Prompt.
- Download Xiaomi Mi Max USB Driver & Install them.
- Download TWRP Recovery for Mi Max & Rename it into recovery.img.
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Mi Max:
1. First Enable USB Debugging on your device. To enable go to Setting > About Phone > MIUI Version tap 7-8 times on in until it enables developers option.
Now, Again back to Setting > Additional Settings > Developers Option > USB Debugging tick on it to enable it. Also, Enable OEM Unlock from the same menu.
2. Install Mi Max USB Driver & Install them also, Download TWRP Recovery from the above link. Rename the recovery into recovery.img.
3. Go to the folder where you have placed the TWRP Recovery. Open Command Window there by pressing Shift button + Right click together. From the menu choose “Open Command Windows here“.
4. Now, Connect your Mi Max in Fastboot mode to your Windows PC.
How to boot Mi Max into Fastboot mode?
Switch off your Mi Max & Press Power on button + Volume down button simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
5. In the command window, Type the following command to check whether your device is connected or not.
If this shows the device then you can use the following command directly to flash twrp recovery. If it shows no device then make sure that you have installed proper USB Drivers.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
It will take few seconds to install this recovery on your phone. After successful recovery installation, you can reboot your device by using the following command to reboot into TWRP Recovery interface or you can switch off your device & Power on + Volume Up button to boot into recovery.
fastboot reboot recovery
For the first time, Choose “Swipe to allow modifications“.
That’s it! We have successfully installed TWRP recovery on Mi Max. Now, You are able to flash SuperSU, Custom ROMs, Kernels and other packages on your device.
Step 3 – Grant Root Access on Mi Max By Installing SuperSU
After performing above steps the remaining process is very simple. Now, You can easily enable root access on Mi Max flashable SuperSU Zip file.
Here are some steps to follow:
1. Download SupeSU.Zip from Chainfire & Place this file in internal storage of your device.
2. Turn off your device and boot into TWRP recovery by Pressing Power on & Volume up button.
3. From the recovery menu, Choose “Install Option” > Locate the SuperSu.zip file from your device storage.
4. Choose “Swipe to Confirm Flash” & wait until it installs it.
5. After successful installation, Choose Reboot option. First boot will take some time to boot up.
Congratulation! We have successfully Rooted Xiaomi Mi Max. Now, You will see the SuperSU app will be installed there in the app drawer. By using this app you can manage root Permissions on your phone.
You can install Root Checker application to check whether your device is rooted or not.
If you have any doubts related this root process then please comment below. Also, Don’t forget to share this post on Social Media!