Xiaomi Mi A1 is the first android one based smartphone is launched by Xiaomi for Indian users. The phone is an excellent combination of Hardware, Software, Design with a setup of Dual Rear cameras. Here in this post, we will check out How to Unlock Bootloader & Install TWRP Recovery on Mi A1 and Root Xiaomi Mi A1.
The Mi A1 is Xiaomi phone which is based on Google Android One Project for Indian users. The Phone has Hardware provided Xiaomi itself & Software by Google. You will see the full stock Android user experience on that phone. That means there is no MIUI OS on that phone. However, You can still flash MIUI 9 on Mi A1 but I don’t know why someone needs MIUI 9 over Firmware provided by Google. I have seen many of users are in love with Stock Android. Personally, I’m a huge fan of Stock Android & if this is provided by Google then its the great deal to have it.
Coming to rooting this smartphone, After checking out all forums & Developers suggestions. I have found 3 working method to root Mi A1. All three methods are personally tested by me & working for me as of now. You can use any method to root this device or use the method with your are comfortable. Keep remembering that for any of the method mentioned below you need an unlocked bootloader. Let’s get started?
Please backup your important files before proceeding to root your android device. In case if something goes wrong you must have a backup of your important files.
Table of Contents
- 1 Method 1 – Root Mi A1 Using Magisk Root (Best Method)
- 2 Method 2 – Root Mi A1 Using CF Auto Root Without PC | Without Installing TWRP
- 3 Method 3 – Root Xiaomi Mi A1 With Mi A1 All In One Tool
Method 1 – Root Mi A1 Using Magisk Root (Best Method)
This is the first way to grant root access on this smartphone and it works flawlessly. My suggestion is you should root this device using this method.
- Download ADB & Fastboot drivers & Install them on your computer.
- Download TWRP Recovery for MI A1
- Download twrp-installer-tissot.zip & Place it in the internal storage of this device.
- Download Magisk-v13.4-Pixel-beta2-build1.zip. Place this file along with twrp recovery installer in the internal storage of the device.
Enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlocking on MI A1:
1. Unlock Bootloader of Mi A1
You need to unlock the bootloader of your Xiaomi Mi A1 in order to root this device. For any of the method given, You must need an unlocked bootloader of this device. Hence, In this first step will unlock bootloader. However, you can read an in-depth tutorial to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A1 here.
1) Go to the folder where you have placed TWRP Recovery file.
Open Command Prompt on your windows. To Open Command Windows, Press right click of the mouse along with holding the shift key.
From the options choose “Open Command Window here“. You will see Command windows has been started on your computer screen.
On Some Windows OS, You will see “Open Power shell” instead Command Window.
2) Now, Turn off your device & Boot your device into fastboot mode. Press Power on button with Volume down button to boot into fastboot mode.
3) Connect your phone to Computer using USB Cable.
4) In Command Prompt, Type the following codes, To check whether your device is connected or not.
If will show your device if it is connected successfully. Now, Simply Put the following command to unlock bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock
This will unlock bootloader of your device within few seconds. That’s it! You have successfully unlocked bootloader of Mi A1.
Now, Head over to install TWRP recovery on your device for various purposes or to install Magisk root.
2. Install TWRP Recovery on Mi A1 & Install Magisk Root to grant Root Access
TWRP is now available for this device. You can easily flash this custom recovery on your device using fastboot mode. With TWRP Recovery you can install Custom ROMs, Kernels & other flashable zip files.
1) Again boot your device into Fastboot mode using Power on + Volume down button.
2) Connect your phone to the computer using USB Cable.
3) Open the folder where you have placed the twrp recovery.
4) We will boot into twrp recovery then will flash flashable twrp recovery which will install TWRP Recovery permanently on your device.
5) Now, Again Open Command Window on the computer for the last time. Quickly open Command Window by Pressing right click of the mouse along with holding the shift key.
6) In Command Window, Type the following code to boot into TWRP Recovery Interface.
fastboot boot twrp.img
Within few seconds you will be in the TWRP Recovery interface now.
7) Select “Swipe to allow modification“. From the menu select “Install“. Choose “twrp-installer-tissot.zip” & “Magisk-v14.0.zip” file & Install this files.
8) After successful flashing back to the main menu of recovery interface. Tap on “Reboot” & select “Slot B“.
9) Go back to the main menu of twrp recovery. Tap on “Reboot” and select “Bootloader” and tap “Do Not Install“. This will restart your device into Fastboot Mode.
10) Again type the same command fastboot boot twrp.img. You will boot into TWRP Recovery in few seconds.
11) Now, Swipe to allow modification. Then again flash “twrp-3.1.1-1-installer-tissot.zip” and “Magisk-v13.4-Pixel-beta2-build1.zip“.
12) Finally, Get back to TWRP Main menu, Tap on Reboot > System & do not install.
13) Download & Install Magisk Manager App to grant full root access.
Congratulation! This is how you have successfully rooted your android device.
Video Tutorial to Root Xiaomi Mi A1 With Magisk Root
Here is the Video Guide for the above tutorial.
So, In this way we have Unlock bootloader of Mi A1, Install TWRP Recovery & Root Mi A1. This is the best method to root this device. However, If you aren’t comfortable with this method then you can try other method mentioned below.
Method 2 – Root Mi A1 Using CF Auto Root Without PC | Without Installing TWRP
CF-Auto-Root is another easiest way to root devices without installing TWRP Recovery your device. This exploit is pretty famous for Samsung Galaxy devices.
However, XDA Developers manages to develop it for Mi A1. By Rooting your phone with CF-Auto-Root you will end up with same stock firmware but you can enjoy root access on this System. This guide is also working to Root Mi 5X.
- Your device bootloader must be unlocked. If you tried this method without unlocking bootloader then it may brick your device. Refer from above to unlock bootloader else head over to How to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Install ADB & Fastboot Driver properly.
- Make sure that you have Enabled USB debugging. Check out the above guide.
Steps to Root Mi A1 Using CF-Auto-Root
1) Download CF-Auto-Root for Mi A1 & Extract it on your computer.
2) Now, Turn on your smartphone in Fastboot Mode by Pressing Power on & Volume down button at the same time & Connect it to PC.
3) Simply Run “root.bat” file. You can read Instruction & Cautions. Press Enter key to continue. Now, Press any key to start the process.
4) The phone will auto reboot as soon as the process completes.
5) Now, Download SuperSU App from the Google Play Store or from the below link.
6) Open “SuperSU” app. It may ask to update binary. Choose “Normal Method” to update SU Binary. Don’t select TWRP/CWM recovery.
7) Congratulation! You are done now.
Source: XDA Developers
Method 3 – Root Xiaomi Mi A1 With Mi A1 All In One Tool
This is a great tool developed by XDA Member @ghpranav for Mi A1 users. You can not only root your device with this toolkit but also can unlock bootloader, Re-lock bootloader. Also, It can Install ADB & Fastboot drivers which comes built-in with this All in One Tool.
- Enable USB Debugging & OEM Unlock from developers options. Check above guide.
- Download ADB & Fastboot Drivers & install them properly.
- Make Sure that you have backup your device data.
- Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Download Mi A1 AIO Toolkit here & Extract it on your PC.
- Download Patched boot.img & Place this boot.img file in extracted Mi A1 AIO Toolkit Folder > image.
Make Sure that you have download Correct Patched Boot.img of your Device Security Patch level month.
Go to Settings > About Phone & Check the “Android Security patch level“.
If its shows October Patch then download October patched boot.img. Please remember that if you didn’t flash any Patched boot.img or Any other patched boot.img other than Security patch level month then your device may brick or stuck at boot logo.
Steps to Root Mi A1 Using Mi A1 All In One Tool
1) Connect your Mi A1 to the computer in fastboot mode. To boot into fastboot mode, Switch off your phone & Press Power + Volume Down button simultaneously.
2) Open Mi A1 AIO Toolkit extracted folder & run AIO Tool file.
3) You will see the command window will open with various options.
4) To Unlock bootloader press 1. It will unlock bootloader within few seconds. If you have already unlocked the bootloader then skip this step.
5) Now, Press 4 to start rooting your smartphone. This will start rooting process & Also it will flash patched boot.img on your phone. It will reboot automatically.
6) Download SupurSU Flashable Zip file & Place it in your internal storage of the device.
7) Go to Google Play Store, Download FlashFire application.
8) Open FlashFire App, Click on Red + button & from the options select “Flash Zip or OTA” option.
9) Now, Select the SuperSU Zip file which we have placed in internal storage & confirm flash.
The flashing process will start & It will restart your phone. That’s it! You have successfully grant root access on Mi A1.
Source: XDA Developers
Don’t forget to comment below if you have faced any issue while rooting Mi A1. Also, If you have question-related rooting in your mind then feel free to ask down below. If you are looking for the power bank for Mi A1 then you can find the deal at Best Power Bank to buy.
Please Share this post along with your friends on Social Media.