Root Redmi Y1 | Install TWRP On Xiaomi Redmi Y1: This Smartphone is launched by Xiaomi on 2 November 2017 in India. As you know the main highlight of the device is Selfie Camera which 16 MP with Selfie light. If you recently bought this device & want to grant root permission on this smartphone then this is an in-depth article to Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP on Redmi Y1 & Root Xiaomi Redmi Y1.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 is the device which is design for Selfie lovers. Talking about Specifications of both Redmi Y1 is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 1.4 GHz octa-core processor. As almost every Xiaomi phone comes with different Storage & Ram options. Redmi Y1 also comes with 2 variant one 3GB of Ram/32GB Storage & another one with a 4GB Ram/64GB Internal storage option. The Phone has 3080 mAh battery life & it runs on MIUI 9 Android-based OS. The main highlight of this device is 16MP Front camera with Selfie light & has 13MP Rear camera.
Rooting allows you to enable some Features which are not available on current OS or doing some extraordinary things with the smartphone. You can Remove Bloatware(Unwanted System Apps), install Kali Linux, System Tweaks, Enable Gestures. Also, In case if you didn’t like MIUI 9 & want to install Custom ROMs then you need to Install TWRP Recovery by which you can install Custom ROMs & other Flashable zip files.
Table of Contents
Steps to Root Redmi Y1 | Unlock Bootloader & Install TWRP
To Grant root permissions on the Redmi Y1 with the help of PC you need to follow three steps. Rooting Xiaomi Phones is much easier. The only thing to consider is unlocking the bootloader of the device takes sometimes hence the Rooting process gets long. Follow the steps Carefully to install SuperSU on Redmi Y1 to manage root permissions.
Step 1 – Unlock Bootloader of Redmi Y1
The first thing to consider while rooting any Xiaomi phones is unlocking its bootloader. Every Xiaomi phone comes with the locked bootloader. Hence first, we need to unlock the bootloader first using Mi Flash Unlock Tool. Don’t worry! It’s not that hard task! Follow the below guide to Unlock Redmi Y1 Bootloader.
Step 2 – Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y1
If you have unlocked the bootloader of this device successfully then the next process is pretty simple. Now, You just need to boot into the fastboot mode of your device and have to give some commands to install twrp recovery which is best Custom recovery for this phone.
1. First, Enable USB Debugging on your Redmi Y1.
To Enable USB Debugging, Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap on MIUI Version 7 Times. This will enable Developers option on your phone.
Get back to Settings > Additional Settings > Developers Options. From this option Enable USB Debugging.
2. Install Downloaded ADB/Fastboot & Xiaomi USB Drivers on your computer first.
3. Go to the folder where you have stored your downloaded twrp recovery.
4. Now, In that folder open command window thereby Pressing Shift Key & Right Click of your mouse simultaneously. From the options, Choose “Open Command Window Here“.
5. Connect your phone to the computer using USB Cable.
6. In the command windows, Enter the following command to check whether your device is connected or not.
7. If your device is shown here then we are ready to move ahead. Type the following command to boot into Fasboot mode directly.
adb reboot fastboot
8. Now, The final step is to flash twrp recovery on your device. Again you can type the below command to check the device is connected or not.
Enter this command to flash TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y1.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
It will install TWRP Recovery on this device within few seconds. After successful installation, you can reboot your device to continue use of custom recovery.
That’s it! This is how we Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Y1 within few steps. Now, Will move ahead & flash SuperSU to grant root access.
Step 3 – Install SuperSU & Root Redmi Y1
Rooting your device is a very simple after installing TWRP Recovery. Just flash the downloaded SuperSU Flashable zip file & you are ready to go.
- Download SuperSU Zip & Place it in the internal storage of the device.
2. Now, You need to boot into twrp recovery.
To Boot into TWRP Recovery Mode, Power off your device, Press Power on button + Volume up button to boot into Recovery mode.
3. Now, You are Recovery interface. From the Menu, Choose “Install” option. Select the SuperSU.zip file where you have placed it.
4. This will take a few seconds to install it on your phone. After installation “Clear Cache” & “Dalvik Cache“.
Now Simply Choose “Reboot” Option to get back into your device.
So, In this way, we have Successfully Rooted Xiaomi Redmi Y1 & Grant root access on your Smartphone. If you still want to check whether your device is rooted or not then Download Root Checker application from the below link & check it.
You are Ready to install Best apps for Rooted Phone By which you can customize or tweak your android in a way you want. Also, You are ready to Flash Custom ROMs using TWRP Recovery. No need to stuck on Stock MIUI 9.
If you like this post then don’t forget to share along with your friends! Also, If you face any issue while rooting this device then do comment below.