The leading smartphone brand Xiaomi has released the Redmi 5A which is called by the name #DeshKaSmartphone. The Phone has the code name, Riva. Finally, TWRP Recovery for this device is now available & using this now we can install supersu on this device or Magisk root to grant root access. Here in this post, we will find How to Root Redmi 5A, Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 5A & Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5A safely.
Xioami has launched the most budget-friendly device for Indian users. Talking about the specifications The phone is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 Chipset along with Adreno 308 GPU. The phone has available in 2 variant which is one with 16GB Internal Storage and 2GB of RAM & another with 32GB Internal Storage & 3GB of RAM options.They have finally removed the Hybrid slot. Now, Redmi 5A Users will get a dedicated slot for both Dual Sim & Memory Card. It has 13 MP Primary Camera & 5 MP Front Camera. The Phone is running on MIUI 9 which is based on Android 7.1 Nougat & has 3000 mAh of battery life. This is the great phone considering the price.
If you want to switch from MIUI 9 to another Custom ROM then installing TWRP Recovery is necessary. For those who are not familiar twrp recovery, It is the custom recovery made for flashing various types of Flashable Zip files. This flashable zips may Custom ROMs, Recovery, Kernels & others.
To Install twrp recovery on Redmi 5A follow the steps given in the post. Also, The whole rooting process is divided into three steps which are Unlocking Bootloader, Installing TWRP Recovery & Flashing SuperSU or Magisk Root to grant root permission.
Table of Contents
Requirments to Root Redmi 5A
- You can backup your important files to avoid data loss during the process.
- In case if anything goes wrong don’t point at us as the Rooting process avoids warranty & it may brick your device.
- Make sure that you have unlocked the bootloader.
- Download Xiaomi Redmi 5A USB Driver & Install them on your computer.
- Download ADB Drivers & Install them also.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device.
Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 5A
The first step is to unlock the bootloader of this device. Unlike other OEMs, you can not unlock the bootloader using some fastboot commands. To unlock the bootloader you need to Apply for unlocking permissions to Xiaomi & then use Mi Flash Unlock Tool to unlock bootloader.
Here is the detailed guide to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 5A.
Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 5A Using Toolkit
Unlocking the bootloader takes too much time but after that whole rooting process is very quick. The Toolkit & recovery is provided by the XDA Member @XN Logos so all the credits goes to him. Redmi 5A toolkit is very useful & handy you just need to setup ADB & Fastboot drivers in order to use this toolkit on your smartphone.
1. Download Redmi 5A Toolkit & Extract it onto your computer. Make sure that you have installed ADB & Fastboot Drivers we have provided links in the requirements section.
2. Connect the device to the computer in Fastboot Mode.
If you don’t know how to Boot Redmi 5A in the fastboot mode then follow the steps given below.
- Switch off your device completely.
- Turn on your smartphone by Pressing “Power on button + Volume Down button” both at the same time.
- Hold the keys until Mi Logo appears & You will be in the fastboot mode now.
3. From the extracted files, Run “redmi 5A toolkit.exe” file. This open command window having various operations for your device.
4. Now, From the options, To install TWRP Recovery type “41” & hit the enter button.
5. Now, You have to press any key to continue twrp recovery installation. As soon as you hit any key, The toolkit will start installing TWRP Recovery on the connected smartphone.
Also, Make sure that you have connected your phone in Fastboot mode to PC & You have installed proper USB Drivers.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed twrp recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 5A. Now, You can head over to root this device using your favorite root management application.
Root Redmi 5A By Flashing SuperSU or Magisk Root
There are two possible ways to grant root access to this device. As there are two popular Root management tools are available. You can either flash supersu or can flash Magisk root to grant the root access. My Personal suggestion is Magisk Root. Although, SuperSU is also a good app to manage root permissions which provides various options.
Flash SuperSU to Root Xiaomi Redmi 5A
1) Download SuperSU Zip file and place the downloaded file in the internal storage of the device.
2) Now, Boot your device into recovery mode by holding “Power Down + Volume Up” button. On the first boot, Allow TWRP Recovery to make modifications in your system.
3) From the TWRP Main Menu, Select “Install” option & locate the downloaded SuperSU zip file. Select “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
This will install SuperSU binary on this device. After installation, Wipe Cache/Dalvik Cache.
4) That’s it! Now, You can reboot your device normally.
Flash Magisk Root to Root Xiaomi Redmi 5A
1) Download Magisk Root Zip & Place the downloaded file in the internal storage.
2) Boot your device into twrp recovery interface. To boot into Recovery Mode, Press “Power On + Volume Up button”.
3) From the TWRP Recovery Menu, Choose “Install” & Locate the Magisk Root zip file. Now, Click on the Swipe to install. After installation Clear Cache/Dalvik Cache and reboot your device normally.
4) Now, Download Magisk Manager App to manage root permissions.
You can Download Root checker application to check root permissions.
So, This is how you can Root Xiaomi Redmi 5A. Also, We have given you detailed info to Unlock Bootloader & Install TWRP Recovery on this device.