Guide to Root Xiaomi Mi Max 2: Have you bought that 6.44″ Phablet? It’s time to root this massive big phone from Xiaomi. The TWRP Recovery is now out for this device. Also, Various types of development on the device have been started including Custom ROMs, Kernels, MOD’s etc.
The Giant Xiaomi Mi Max 2 is 6.44″ Phablet powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 625. It has 64GB of internal storage & 4GB RAM. Talking about Camera, It has been built with 12 Mega-pixel Primary camera along with 5 Mega-Pixel front camera. The Phone has 5300 MaH battery life & all the necessary sensors.
Here in this post, We will check how to Unlock Bootloader of Mi Max 2, Install TWRP Recovery on Mi Max 2 & Root this smartphone.
Table of Contents
Steps to Root Xiaomi Mi Max 2
The all rooting process is divided in to three major parts. The phases are unlocking bootloader, Installing TWRP Recovery & flashing SuperSU to grant root access on this massive smartphone.
- Download Mi Max 2 USB Driver & install them properly on your computer.
- Install ADB & Fastboot Drivers.
- Take a proper backup of important files on your device. One mistake can brick your device by which you will lose all the files.
- Enable USB Debugging on Mi Max 2.
To Enable USB Debugging, Go to Settings > About Phone > Tap 7-8 times on MIUI Version. This will enable Developers options on your phone.
Get back to Settings > Additional settings > Developers Options. Now, From the options enable USB Debugging option.
Required Files to Root Mi Max 2
- Download TWRP Recovery for Mi Max 2 & Rename the downloaded recovery to recovery.img.
- Download SuperSU Flashable Zip file & Place this file in the internal storage with Lazyflasher.
- Download LazyFlasher for Mi Max 2. We need to flash this file to prevent boot loop.
Unlock Bootloader of Mi Max 2
As you know rooting is impossible without unlocking the bootloader. Hence, We will unlock the bootloader of Mi Max 2 & then will proceed further. The unlocking process is pretty simple, You need to apply for unlocking bootloader to Xiaomi. Then within 1-2 Working days, you will get the approval. Now, Using Mi Flash Unlock Tool you can unlock bootloader in few seconds. Check out the detailed article given below.
Install TWRP Recovery on Mi Max 2
Finally, TWRP Recovery is now available for this device. Now, You are ready to flash this twrp recovery on your smartphone.
By Installing TWRP Recovery you can flash the Custom ROMs, Kernels & Other flashable Zip files which are used to tweak your system.
1. Go to the folder where you placed your TWRP Recovery. In that folder open the command window there.
To Open Command Window, Press Right Click of your mouse along with holding shift button. Now, from the options select “Open Command Window” or On some Windows you will find an option of “Open Windows Power Shell“.
You will see Command Window will open on your screen.
2. Now, Its time to boot your smartphone in Fastboot mode & Then connect it to Computer using USB Cable.
If you don’t know how to boot the Smartphone in fastboot mode then follow the simple steps, Turn off your device completely & Press Power on + Volume down button at the same time until Mi Logo appears. Now, You are in fastboot mode.
3. In Command Window, Enter the following command & hit enter button to check your device is connected or not.
As soon as you enter the command you will see that device is connected.If it doesn’t show any device then you need to check your device drivers again.
4. Flash the downloaded TWRP Recovery by using the following command. Make sure that you have renamed your downloaded recovery into recovery.img or replace the name with the following command.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Within few seconds this will flash twrp recovery on Mi Max 2.
5. Now, Simply hit the below code to reboot normally.
You have successfully installed twrp recovery on Mi Max 2. Now, Its time to root your device by flashing SuperSU Zip file.
Root Mi Max 2 By Installing SuperSU
You have unlocked the bootloader of this phone & also have installed twrp recovery on your smartphone. Now, here is the last step of the rooting process. We will install SuperSU on this device by which you can manage root permissions easily.
1. Placed the Downlaoded SuperSU Zip file & LazyFlasher file in the internal storage of your device.
2. Boot your device into recovery mode, By Pressing Power on + Volume Up button. You will be in the TWRP Recovery interface now.
3. At First boot, Press “Swipe to allow modifications“. Now, From the Menu Choose “Install” button & Locate SuperSU Zip file & Lazy Flasher file.
You can install this both files at the same time or Install the files one by one.
4. After Successful Installation, Choose “Wipe cache” & “Reboot” option to reboot your smartphone.
Kudos! You have successfully Rooted Xiaomi Mi Max 2. Now, You are ready for further development of the smartphone.
If you still have a question in your mind or if you have stuck at any process then don’t forget to use the comment box. Thank You!